Monday, August 13, 2012

Menu Monday: 8/13-8/17


Menu Monday

Monday: Out of this World Lasagna (Leftovers for lunch and the freezer!)
Tuesday: Grilled Chicken Salad
Wednesday: Shrimp Green Curry
Thursday: Spicy Sausage,Kale, and Potato Soup (more leftovers!)
Friday: Who knows?!!?
Saturday: Happy 5th Anniversary to us!

This week I go back to the real world. Well... sort of. I have 3 days of workshops, plus a day of planning with one of my teaching teams. Today I met with my mentor for the first time and saw one of the buildings in which I'll be teaching. I still don't know what students I'll be working with, or my schedule, but I'm beginning to get started. 


My mentor Tiffany Hall. Click here for her bio!

Tonight's dinner was all about leftovers! Greg and I really needed to make something that could be frozen for go to lunches when we run out! Tonight's lasagna made 3 lunches for this week and 7 frozen portions divided into 5 lunches and 1 dinner for two! The recipe came to us from our friend Melanie via the internet.  I did not take any pictures, but here is the amazing recipe!


Out of This World Spicy Lasagna!


*You could make this ahead of time and freeze the whole thing!
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 4 chopped cloves of garlic
  • 3 Thai Chilles (chopped) (Optional!)
  • 2 pounds spicy sausage
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
  • 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (sweet or Thai)
  • Add other fresh herbs too (sage, fennel, cilantro) if you want too!
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound whole wheat lasagna noodles (about ¾ of a box)
  • 15 ounces ricotta cheese
  • 8 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1)       Heat oil, sauté onion, garlic and chille until soft.
2)     Add sausage and brown.
3)     Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4)     In Separate bowl: Mix together Ricotta, goat cheese, parmesan, parsley and eggs.
5)     In Separate bowl: Put noodles in HOT tap water until soft

To Assemble in 9x13 glass dish:  1/3 Sauce, 1/2 noodles, 1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 cheese mixture,  1/3 Sauce, 1/2 noodles, 1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 cheese mixture, 1/3 sauce, extra parmesan cheese.

Bake @ 400°:  Covered for 40 minutes, uncovered for 10, Under the broiler for 5 (if needed)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment